AUGUST 17 - DAY ONE
- Marcie and Sol threw us a going away party on August 16 and a lot of our friends came. We had a great time and were so glad that we had the opportunity to say good bye to everyone in person! :) Stayed at a motel in Marietta, GA that night.
- August 17 we left around 10:45 am. I wasn't sure how the cats would react to a long drive so I got sedatives from the vet. She told me to give Halo 1/4 of a pill and George 1/2. Halo reacts as one would expect - calm and sleepy. George, on the other hand, whines like crazy, thrashes around, and chewed a hole through the mesh part in his cage! It must have been too strong for him because it seemed like he was really tripping out. Eventually they both fell asleep and George tried to sleep under Jeff's driver seat most of the time.
- We checked in to our hotel (a Motel 6) around 11:45 pm in Topeka, KS.
Mileage: 850
AUGUST 18 - DAY TWO
- We left Kansas in the morning. Didn't have to give the cats sedatives - they were fine on their own so that was a relief. Halo was afraid of the windshield wipers :) We saw a lot of large wind turbines and oil drills.
- We were able to book a very nice hotel, Hotel Monaco, that was pet friendly when we arrived in Denver, CO. The hotel will actually provide massages for your pets or send up a goldfish for company.
- We went to Corinne and Graham's house and they had a great house. They had a split level home - two bedrooms on the lower level and kitchen and living room upstairs. They have the cutest springer spaniel, Ollie.
- We went to downtown Denver and had dinner at D'Corozon. We went to a bar that Tim Burton created where Corinne and Graham had their second or third date. We loved Denver!
Mileage: 550
AUGUST 19 - DAY THREE
- We drove through Utah and Arizona on our way to Las Vegas that day.
- We stopped for breakfast at Burger King. While I took the top off of my coffee to put in sugar, George decided to jump up on my lap and I spilled half of my hot coffee on my legs. Luckily the jeans were thick enough so I didn't get any burns - but it still hurt!!!
- When we arrived in Las Vegas, we went to the Bellagio Buffet for dinner (which is supposed to be very good) and waited in line for 40 minutes. There were some really annoying people behind me in line - they kept bumping into me When we finally got to pre-pay, one of the ladies behind me started yelling and put her credit card out in front of me to the cashier. I just acted like nothing was going on and paid like normal. Jeff told the lady to calm down but she wasn't speaking English. Apparently she was trying to make sure she paid before another person in her group tried to.
Mileage: 750
AUGUST 20 - DAY FOUR
- We woke up early and went to the MGM's breakfast buffet. I played Let It Ride and got horrible, horrible cards - I think I won only one hand.
- We went to meet Mona at Maggiano's at the Fashion Show Mall for lunch. Figured we would get some exercise in and walk there. We ended up getting there almost 20 minutes late. Took us much longer than we estimated.
- We went to Palazzo to gamble with Mona. I won $400 on a slot machine - and almost got kicked out for not being able to find my ID. They actually called back up when I was searching for it!
- Jeff and I ended up going to Caesar's Palace for a while. I got a few good hands on Let It Ride - but the dealer wasn't very good. She kept giving us the wrong amoun
t of chips - usually less than what we won. Everyone kept correcting her!
- Jeff taught me how to play Roulette and I won about $100 (Justin, I put money on black 15 like you requested - but it didn't work out. Sorry! :)). I got carded again for the third time that day to get a drink.
- We went to dinner at Yardhouse with my friends Sepi, Fred (her boyfriend), Michelle and her date. It was a pretty good place - Sepi and Fred had been together for almost 4 years. They looked really cute together :)
Mileage: 0
AUGUST 21 - DAY FIVE
- Last leg of the trip!! For some reason it took a little longer than usual for the cats to adjust to the drive. They were very anxious. Halo got so bad that I ended up having to give her a sedative and it made her feel much better. She actually fell asleep in my arms! :)
- When we got in to San Jose, Josh came over and we went to The Melting Pot for dinner. He showed us around a bit - the weather was great!
Mileage: 520
AUGUST 22 - DAY SIX (today)
- Today we went to look for apartments. The first place didn't have anything until the end of September and the second place didn't have anything until the end of October! We liked both of them - but we really needed to get an apartment as soon as possible. Yahoo will only pay for the first 30 days of storage.
- The third place was in downtown San Jose - The Globe (http://www.theglobesanjose.com/). The agent told us that a one-bedroom apartment just became available for immediate move-in. Apparently the person who originally wanted it cancelled that day! It was the biggest one bedroom they had. It's on the third floor and we have our own parking spot. There are only about 75 units, so the leasing agents know a lot about the residents.
- We had lunch with Josh at the Yahoo cafeteria. It was awesome! They had everything you could possibly imagine. I am so jealous!
- After we had lunch, Jeff and I made a deposit for the apartment and tomorrow we are getting the keys to move in! I am so excited :) We probably won't get our furniture until Tuesday though.
Tomorrow we are going to meet up with Josh and hang out. Monday is Jeff's first day at Yahoo! He's going to be great! Now I just need to get a job!
~Laura
1 comment:
Oh no not the Motel6 Topeka West on Wanamaker Rd? With the Arby's behind it? I swore to myself last year I would never stay there again (at least until they renovated it...) I'll be retracing your steps along I-70 to Denver in a week :)
Post a Comment