Saturday, June 19, 2010

Two Weeks After Our Trip To Europe

We had a great time in Europe! We were there from May 21 - June 4. It was a great vacation AND a lot to see! It was very hard to narrow down everything we wanted to do. We went to Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, and lastly, London. If Jeff and I had to rate them, we would say Amsterdam was our favorite, then Paris, London, and Brussels.

I loved Amsterdam because it was so beautiful! I love the cobblestone streets and all of the canals. We stayed at a bed and breakfast called 'Misc Eat Sleep Drink.' It was really cute and we loved the room. The weather was wonderful - warm, but not hot. The main sights we saw were the Rembrandt Museum (which was inside his house), the Van Gogh Museum, and the Anne Frank house. The Anne Frank house was by far the most interesting for me and I think Jeff as well. It was so odd because we were able to go up the stairs and go through the rooms that where Anne Frank and her family actually hid from the Nazis. I will always remember those moments - I sometimes feel like that time was so long ago, but it really wasn't. It's pretty scary actually. Anne Frank would have been 80 this year.

Brussels could have been fun. We only stayed there for one full day and two evenings. We had a few things planned that we were hoping to do, but we didn't do any of it. I honestly have no pictures of Brussels other than the hotel room. I was sick the entire time in Brussels. We thought we would have the whole next day to explore so we didn't do much that first evening. Every year or two I have vertigo in my sleep. I've only ever had vertigo while I was sleeping and it would wake me up. If I try to get up right after it occurs, I feel like I'm going to fall over and get sick to my stomach. I rested for a bit but every time I stood up I would get dizzy again. I drifted off to sleep two times while trying to wait the dizziness out. Each time I had another episode of vertigo. Unfortunately my stomach almost felt worse the next morning. I spent the whole morning on the bathroom floor...lovely. However, we had to check out that afternoon and catch our train to Paris. That was a little difficult but after we settled in Paris I was fine for the rest of the trip! I'm disappointed that we didn't get to explore Brussels, but at least it was a really nice hotel! :)

We spent the most time in Paris. We also walked the most there. The sights we visited were: Notre Dame cathedral, Louvre Museum, Arc de Triomphe, Concierge, Galeries Lafayette, and Champs d' Elysse. My favorite was Notre Dame - soooo beautiful!! Jeff took some really great shots. :) We took 2 half days to tour the Louvre and still didn't see all of it. It's ridiculously big. It also has a mall inside of it, which I didn't know. The Mona Lisa was there and it was a lot smaller than I had imagined. They also had it in a glass casing on the wall as well as rope that everyone had to stand behind so it was a little difficult to see up close. We walked up the stairs in the Arc de Triomphe, which was a bit of a struggle for me. This was especially true while going DOWN the stairs since I tend to fall down stairs and hurt myself. We went to the top of the Arc de Triomphe and saw a great view of the Eiffel Tower. The metro in Paris was great - it took us anywhere we needed. I really really REALLY wish we had something so advanced in the U.S. It would make things so much easier.

We took the train from Paris to London and we stayed two full days there. Unfortunately the first night it was raining but the rest of the time it was gorgeous! We saw Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and parliament, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, and the building where the Beatles performed on the roof (right before they broke up). My favorite sight in London was Tower of London. We saw the crown jewels, where Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour were beheaded, and the building where Guy Forks was interrogated. Surprisingly the food at the cafe inside the Tower of London area was horrible - we couldn't eat any of it. We also saw a friend of mine who I grew up with, Kyle. He used to live in Las Vegas when Justin and I were there but he now lives in London with his wife. We had lunch at a really yummy vegetarian restaurant (Jeff called it Sweet Tomatoes on crack lol). We then left from London and flew in to Atlanta for a friend's wedding. The wedding was beautiful and a lot of fun (congrats Adam and Erin!).

Europe was wonderful and now I want to go back and see all of the countries we missed out on! It was really hard to narrow down which countries we should visit. Although we had a great time, near the end of the trip we were really getting tired and I was getting cranky. lol It is definitely nice to be back home in our own bed, cuddling with our kitties, and hanging out with our friends again! You can see my pictures of Europe at my Picasa web albums site:
You are invited to view Laura's photo album: Europe
Europe
May 21, 2010
by Laura
If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=LGargala&target=ALBUM&id=5481937150611416433&authkey=Gv1sRgCIjTsfSw76DfuwE&feat=email

Jeff has much better pictures but he hasn't posted them yet.

Sorry this is so long but everyone has been asking about our trip! Hope everyone has a great summer and hopefully I will post more soon! :)

much love,

Laura

1 comment:

M. Schlansker said...

glad to hear about your trip.